Numerous emails in your inbox and you need to find a specific one, quite difficult but Outlook’s advanced search feature makes every task possible, but sometimes when your PC is under any issues with corrupt/missing files or damaged/incompatible software it becomes hard to find the missing emails from your account on Outlook.
The search feature uses indexing services to locate what you are searching for. Here, I will walk you through multiple solutions in case Outlook isn’t returning the results it once did:
Setting adjustment for search result
By default, Outlook will look through your emails from your “current folder” which is standard, but somehow when you search the email, you’re looking for doesn’t show up in your current folder even though it belongs there.
Related Article: Send New Email Notification To Phone In Outlook Through SMS
Knowing how to get the most out of our data is an essential skill when using a dashboard.
- Go to Microsoft Outlook.
- Click the File tab from the left-hand corner of the screen >> Options
- Now click on search from the left-hand navigation pane
- Can select All mailbox
- Click on the check box “Include messages from the Deleted Items folder in each data file when searching in All items”.
- You can change the color of selected highlighted emails.
- Finally, Click Ok
Quick Repair is the process of reinstalling Outlook with the default settings, which will help you fix errors in the dysfunctional search function.
- Close all your opened files.
- Click on the start button from the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Type Apps & Features into the Windows search box.
- Select Apps & Features, and click Open.
- Find and click on Microsoft Office in the list of installed apps and features.
- Click Modify, you get two options “Quick Repair” or “Online Repair ““.
- Select “Quick Repair “, and hit Repair.
- Once the repair process is completed, restart Outlook.
Rebuild Using Index Option
There are a few reasons why Outlook 2010 and higher versions’ search function may not be working, and one of them is indexed.
- Open Outlook >> Click on File Tab in the upper left corner of the screen and then choose Options.
- Click Search from the left navigation pane >> Click Indexing options.
- Click on Advanced.
- Click “Troubleshoot search and indexing” in the troubleshooting pane and see if the wizard finds and repairs any issue.
- Some of the options appear which result are the main causes of Outlook search not working.
- Select “all that applies” and click Next
Click Outlook and then click the File tab. Click Repair and then select the current profile from the window. Click Rebuild and wait for it to do its thing, depending on your data. Then, restart Outlook and recheck your files if you have any problems with them at this point.
In the majority of cases, after implementing the above process Outlook search function works normally whether it only brings up half of the results or stops working completely.